Understanding Our Advertising Policies
Our Advertising Policies provide guidance on what types of ad content are allowed. When advertisers submit their campaign for review, each ad included in that submission is reviewed against these policies. If you think your ad was mistakenly disapproved, please let us know.
1. Display Banner Ads
The following image requirements apply to all campaign creatives submitted for approval and are designed to prevent user confusion and to ensure publisher website quality is not degraded as a result of spammy, irrelevant, and/or unethical ads.
a. Acceptable Ad Units
- 728x90px - Leaderboard*
- 300x250px - Medium Rectangle*
- 300x600px - Half Page Ad
- 320x50px - Smartphone Static Wide Banner
- 160x600px - Wide Skyscraper
- 970x250px - Billboard
- 970x90px - Super Leaderboard
*required unit/creative for all display campaigns
Note: Your campaign will be negatively impacted if you do not upload banners in every size.
b. Acceptable File Sizes
File sizes should be under 200KB, although MANTIS can make exceptions for animated or rich media creatives that agree to run on a CPM basis.
c. Accuracy and Relevance
Display ads must clearly represent the company, product, service, or brand that is being advertised. To prevent any confusion, all creatives must have the logo of the advertiser clearly visible. All ad components, including any text, images or other media, must be relevant and appropriate to the product or service being offered and the audience viewing the ad.
d. Animated Banners
All animated artwork must be designed to display at a rate slower than 3 seconds per slide and should not be distracting to users.
e. Creative Border/Stroke
All creatives, especially those that utilize a white or light colored background, must include a dark gray or black border around the artwork that clearly separates the ad from the website it is being advertised on.
f. Special Offers, Deals, and Coupon Codes
Creatives cannot contain any special offers, deals, or coupon codes without examples or footnotes that clearly explain how the visitor can take advantage of the offer. For example, if you are offering a free accessory for a limited time, your creative must state if purchase is required, when the offer expires, and instructions on how to redeem said offer.
g. Text in Images
Words should account for no more than 25% of your overall creative. When you use images in your banner design, try to include as little text as possible on the image itself as our research has shown that people prefer to see ads with minimal image text. Avoid spreading text all over the image and do not use large fonts or colors that could be considered distracting.
2. Content Ads
a. Content Image Requirements
Content recommendation ads only require one (1) image per campaign that meets the following criteria:
- Images must be 250x175px; bigger images will be automatically sized down proportionately.
- Images may not include your company’s logo, name, trademarks, products, or any text.
- Images must be relevant to your content campaign’s title and landing page, as determined by MANTIS in its sole discretion.
b. Landing Pages for Content Ads
- Recommended content ads on MANTIS must link to relevant landing pages with editorial content that the average user would consider educational, informational, entertaining, and/or timely.
- No content ads should link to any sales or promotional page, nor any pages that excessively advertise or link to another sales or promotional page.
- “Buying guides” or other similar content are allowed, however these types of campaigns may be flagged for a more in-depth review process.
c. Title Formatting
All advertisers are required to provide a title for each content campaign submitted that adheres to the following guidelines:
- Titles must be less than 56 characters in length.
- Titles may not include your company’s logo, name, trademarks, products, or any text.
- Titles must be relevant to the content on the linked landing page.
- Titles must use proper English for its sentence structure and read easily.
- Each word in your title should be capitalized except for any of the articles (a, an, the, etc...).
3. Video Ads
Video ads and other dynamic ad types must comply the all of the rules listed in these Advertising Policies, as well as the policies below:
a. Video Creative Requirements
- Max standard video length: 60 secs
- Min standard video length: 10 secs
- File type: any standard digital video format (.MOV, .MP4, etc.)
- Max file size: 300 MB
- Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9 (video will be scaled to show in different size video players)
- Frame rate: 30 fps
b. Disruptive Content
Videos and other similar ad types must not use overly disruptive tactics, such as flashing screens or excessive volume.
c. Entertainment Related Restrictions
Ads for movie trailers, TV shows, video game trailers, and other similar content intended for mature audiences are only allowed with prior written permission from MANTIS and must target people who are 18 years or older. Excessive depictions of the following content within these ads are not allowed:
- Alcohol use
- Adult content
- Violence and gore
4. Restricted Content
Restricted content on MANTIS must comply with all of the rules listed in these Advertising Policies, as well as the policies below:
a. Dispensaries, Delivery Services, and Infused Products
- Creatives should remain conservative and not “appeal to young persons” or connect cannabis to a way of life that includes “glamour, recreation, excitement, vitality, risk or daring.”
- Creatives must adhere to all advertising guidelines set forth by your local and/or state government bodies, if applicable.
- Creatives cannot use text containing discounts on cannabis products.
- Creatives cannot reference lab testing results/data for any cannabis products.
- Creatives cannot use text containing any potency, quality, or health claims.
- Your landing page must deploy some type of age verification process or popup on entrance.
- Your campaign must be geo-targeted to areas that you can legally sell and service within; MANTIS currently allows you to segment by state, metro, and postal (ZIP).
b. Hemp and CBD Products
- Creatives cannot include health claims or promise results from using the product.
- Creatives cannot include structure/function claims (e.g. “helps improve your mood”).
- Creatives cannot include statements about safety.
- Creatives cannot include statements about side effects or lack thereof.
- Creatives cannot include instructions (e.g. “CBD oil can be taken simply as small drops over time or as a sauce along with meals”).
- Creative cannot include literature/study references.
- Creatives cannot reference a product’s strength or potency.
- Creatives cannot include the words “organic.”
- Creatives cannot include competitive claims unless evidence is supported on landing page.
c. Seed Banks
- Creatives should remain fairly conservative and not promote the growing of seeds.
- Creatives cannot reference a product’s strength or potency.
- Example: An ad saying “The Strongest Indica Seeds” would be disapproved.
- Campaigns in this category must implement an interstitial page that shows prior to directing the user to their website. The interstitial must provide any warnings or disclaimers as to the legality of acquiring seeds and any other necessary legal information pertaining to all applicable laws.
d. Vaporizers and e-Cigs
- Creatives cannot be associated with youth culture or be likely to appeal to users aged 18 or younger.
- Creatives cannot promote any design, imagery or logo style that might reasonably be associated in the audience’s mind with a tobacco brand.
- Creatives cannot contain any health or medicinal claims.
- Creatives cannot contain representations that the product presents or lower risk of tobacco-related disease or is less harmful than other commercially marketed tobacco products.
5. Prohibited Content
Ads must not violate our Advertising Policy, which restricts the following types of advertisements:
a. Tobacco Products
Ads must not promote the use of tobacco products and related paraphernalia. Blogs or groups connecting people with tobacco-related interests is okay to advertise, as long as the service does not lead to the sale of tobacco or tobacco-related products. For example, an ad saying "Buy cigarettes and e-cigarettes here today!" is not acceptable and will be disapproved.
b. Prescription Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
Ads must not promote the sale or use of prescription, pharmaceutical and/or recreational drugs, as determined by MANTIS in its sole discretion.
c. Unsafe Supplements
Ads must not promote the sale or use of unsafe supplements, as determined by MANTIS in its sole discretion.
d. Weapons, Ammunition, or Explosives
Ads must not promote the sale or use of weapons, ammunition, or explosives.
e. Adult Products or Services
Ads must not promote the sale or use of adult products or services, except for ads for family planning and contraception. Ads for contraceptives must focus on the contraceptive features of the product, and not on sexual pleasure or sexual enhancement, and must be targeted to people 18 years or older.
f. Adult Content
Ads must not contain adult content. This includes full or partial nudity, depictions of people in explicit or suggestive positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative.
g. Third-Party Infringement
Ads must not contain content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights. To report content that you feel may infringe upon or violate your rights, please check these details.
h. Sensational Content
Ads must not contain shocking, sensational, disrespectful or excessively violent content.
i. Personal Attributes
Ads must not contain content that asserts or implies personal attributes. This includes direct or indirect assertions or implications about a person’s race, ethnic origin, religion, beliefs, age, sexual orientation or practices, gender identity, disability, medical condition (including physical or mental health), financial status, membership in a trade union, criminal record, or name.
j. Misleading or False Content
Ads must not contain deceptive, false, or misleading content, including deceptive claims, offers, or business practices.
k. Controversial Content
Ads must not contain content that exploits controversial political or social issues for commercial purposes.
l. Automatic Animation
Ads must not contain audio or flash animation that plays automatically without a person's interaction.
m. Non-Functional Landing Page
Ads must not direct people to non-functional landing pages. This includes landing page content that interferes with a person’s ability to navigate away from the page.
n. Surveillance Equipment
Ads may not promote the sale of spy cams, mobile phone trackers or other hidden surveillance equipment.
o. Grammar & Profanity
Ads must not contain profanity or bad grammar and punctuation. Symbols, numbers, and letters must be used properly.
p. Nonexistent Functionality
Ads must not contain images that portray nonexistent functionality.
q. Personal Health
Ads must not contain "before-and-after" images or images that contain unexpected or unlikely results. Ad content must not imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception in order to promote diet, weight loss, or other health related products. Ads for health, fitness or weight loss products must be targeted to people 18 years or older.
r. Payday or Cash Advance Loans
Ads must not promote payday loans, paycheck advances or any other short-term loan intended to cover someone's expenses until their next payday.
s. Multi-level Marketing
Ads promoting income opportunities must fully describe the associated product or business model, and must not promote business models offering quick compensation for little investment, including multilevel marketing opportunities.
Ads must not promote the consumption of alcohol or alcohol products to audiences aged under 21 in the United States, and campaigns must follow all local and national laws regulating alcohol-related advertisements.
u. Penny Auctions
Ads may not promote penny auctions, bidding fee auctions or other similar business models.
v. Counterfeit Documents
Ads may not promote fake documents, such as counterfeit degrees, passports or immigration papers.
w. Low Quality or Disruptive Content
Ads must not contain content leading to external landing pages that provide an unexpected or disruptive experience. This includes misleading ad positioning, such as overly sensationalized headlines, and leading people to landing pages that contain minimal original content and a majority of unrelated or low quality ad content.
x. Spyware or Malware
Ads must not contain spyware, malware, or any software that results in an unexpected or deceptive experience. This includes links to sites containing these products.
y. Misleading Student Loan Services
Ads must not promote misleading or deceptive services related to student loan consolidation, forgiveness, or refinancing.
z. Discriminatory Practices
Ads must not discriminate or encourage discrimination against people based on personal attributes such as race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family status, disability, or genetic condition.
6. Use of Our Brand Assets
a. Brand Endorsement
Ads must not imply a MANTIS ad network endorsement or partnership of any kind, or an endorsement by any other MANTIS publishing partner.
b. Copyrights & Trademarks
All other ads and landing pages must not use our copyrights, Trademarks, or any confusingly similar marks, except with our prior written permission.
c. Data Use Restrictions
- Ensure any ad data collected, received or derived from your MANTIS campaign is only shared with someone acting on your behalf, such as your service provider. You are responsible for ensuring your service providers protect any MANTIS advertising data or any other information obtained from us, limit their use of all of that information, and keep it confidential and secure.
- Don’t use MANTIS advertising data for any purpose (including retargeting, commingling data across multiple advertisers’ campaigns, or allowing piggybacking or redirecting with tags), except on an aggregate and anonymous basis (unless authorized by MANTIS) and only to assess the performance and effectiveness of your advertising campaigns on MANTIS.
- Don’t use MANTIS advertising data, including the targeting criteria for your ad, to build, append to, edit, influence, or augment user profiles, including profiles associated with any mobile device identifier or other unique identifier that identifies any particular user, browser, computer or device.
- Don't transfer any MANTIS advertising data (including anonymous, aggregate, or derived data) to any ad network, ad exchange, data broker or other advertising or monetization related service.
Things You Should Know
- The Advertising Policies apply to (1) ads and commercial content served by or purchased through MANTIS.
- Advertisers are responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations. Failure to comply may result in a variety of consequences, including the cancellation of ads you have placed and termination of your account.
- If you are managing ads on behalf of other advertisers, each advertiser or client must be managed through separate ad accounts. You must not change the advertiser or client associated with an established ad account; set up a new account. You are responsible for ensuring that each advertiser complies with these Advertising Policies.
- We reserve the right to reject, approve or remove any ad for any reason, in our sole discretion, including ads that negatively affect our relationship with our users or that promote content, services, or activities, contrary to our competitive position, interests, or advertising philosophy.
- For policies that require prior written permission, MANTIS may grant these permissions.
- These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.